Machu Picchu and back to Cusco, Peru – May 12, 2017




IMGP1009

This morning we were hiking the Inca Trail up to the Sun Gate (Inti Punku), so what follows for a while will be photos during the hike up and back. The elevation change is 950 feet from Machu Picchu up to the Sun Gate, with the Sun Gate being at just under 9,000 feet. It meant for a slow hike with numerous rests. I was surprised how easy it was to get winded if I kept a steady pace even for a short distance. Discretion being the better part of valor, I slowed down, stuck close to Linda and rested when she rested, at least sometimes.

IMGP1011

You know all those fantastic photos everyone is always posting of their trip to Machu Picchu? Well, this is just to show you that not all of the them turn out fantastic, it’s just that no one but me is willing to post something like this.

IMGP1016

That’s more like it!

P5120386

A few feet further and the view is completely different. It isn’t easy taking photos of Machu Picchu without including gobs of people.

IMGP1031

See what I mean about people everywhere. Actually there is a story behind all the smiles.

IMGP1032

Foot pointing to rock. This is the reason for the smiles. To take the previous photo I was backing up while looking into the camera. My heel caught on this rock and I almost, almost being the operative word, lost my balance. Edgar had told us to watch where we stepped. Some didn’t pay attention to those words, hence the smiles and laughter. Not going to say I didn’t backup again, but I sure made it my business to look behind me before I moved. Teachable Bob.

IMGP1034

The body and facial expressions say it all.



A little while later further up the trail.

IMGP1046

Why mountains are climbed.

IMGP1050

Nearing the end.


IMGP1055

As good as it gets.

IMGP1061

Llama leavings.

IMGP1062

Resting in the shade.

IMGP1066

Resting along the trail.

IMGP1067A

View from sitting on the wall along the trail.

IMGP1087

Have to try out all the settings on my new camera.



A video panorama, or, a different kind of panorama. One that is unlikely to be repeated during the trip. Bob, the shakey NOT videographer

IMGP1095A


Hooray! Linda standing in the Sun gate overlooking Machu Picchu, she made it all the way to the top.

P5120405

The switchback road, Machu Picchu and the trail to the Sun Gate. Now we understand what is actually in the photos we saw online before we came here.

IMGP1114

Proud Linda.

IMGP1124

Heading back down to Machu Picchu.

IMGP1142

IMGP1146


IMGP1158

Almost back.

IMGP1162

Words not necessary.

IMGP1172


As pretty as it gets, and Machu Picchu also looks great.

P5120419

A, been there, down that, photo.

IMGP1206

Machu Picchu from a different angle.

IMGP1216

Huh? Did I miss something in their list of nationalities and foods?

IMGP1237

I did not pinch her! She’s laughing. Really, honest.

IMGP1278

Being an O.A.T. guide can tire a person out.

IMGP1337

Yep, we are in the Andes.

P5120437

The sun sets early near the equator.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Punta Arenas to Santiago - Nov. 29, 2019

Last day at Sea - Nov. 27, 2019

Nesting Albatross and Rockhopper Penguins - Nov 26, 2019