Crossing borders and more ruins–Monday 30 April 2018

BAD BOB It was a good start to the day, first Richard informed me I had misspelled the name of the volcano we hiked which should have been Pacaya. Don’t why I did that because every time you have to smile for a photo in Antigua you say Pacaya. My Bad.

The other error can be seen below.

DSC03807

You may have noticed I posted the blog for the 29th on the morning of the 30th (today). Since I am still a bit under the weather I wanted to get caught up so I can post on the same day if possible. That made it a short post which made it a very big problem for me. I hadn’t even closed the door to the room when she rules like a Mayan female god creature or something on that order (she is picking up pointers every time we learn more Mayan history) wanted (I use the term loosely) to know if I had included the bird head photo she took. Conceding I had not and groveling at her royal feet did little good. So: I am so very sorry for not posting your fantastic photo of the bird head dear. Please forgive my grievous error and allow we to once again serve you in my most humble way. Submissive, subservient, servile Bob. (Talk about digging yourself into a hole.)


P4301545

I have no idea if there is a double meaning in this crocodile photo I found on her camera , but you cab bet your last dollar I am going to post it. Smart Bob.


P4301557

Then when we stopped for fuel before crossing the border from Guatemala to Belize, fuel is almost twice as expensive in Belize as it is in Guatemala. She met up with these two armed security guards.


P4301558

I have no idea who they thought she was, they did this only with Linda, but I could she saying something about taking care of the guy with the pony tail. And not necessarily in a good way. Jeez dear, how many times do I have say I am very, very sorry and I will never again not post one of your prize winning photos. Beggarly Bob.


P4301564 (2)

Richard, passports in hand heading off to get our Guatemalan exit stamp.


P4301570 (2)

To enter Belize from Guatemala you have to hand carry your luggage. That meant it had to come the roof of the bus. Belize and Guatemala do not get along at all. Something to do with a disputed border and each’s army stationed there.


P4301573

We had none of the above, having dumped the remaining small amount of tequila and margarita mix this morning. I bow to Linda here. She says she doesn’t want either of us to have to tell a fib, and besides what might happen if you were caught with one of these items. Everyone in the group breezed through Belize customs.


P4301579

Sorry for the tree marring the photo. Well, maybe not sorry, as it is Linda’s photo, but I shall say no more. Humble Bob.

We were happy to known that unlike in Guatemala where Walmart has bought up all the major chains save one, in Belize Walmart has no presence. Maybe the fact there are only a little over 300,000 people in the entire country has something to do with, but for what ever reason, it is a good thing.


P4301581 (2)

Traffic stop. Nothing bad, just to make sure the driver had all the required paperwork and current insurance. One nice thing about Belize, it is a former British colony, so everyone speaks English.


P4301585

Ferry photo by Linda. Just trying to anticipate any potential repercussions.


DSC03904 (2)

Bus photo. I don’t know if there are chicken buses in Belize. I did feel bad about not posting a chicken buss photo yesterday, but readers were probably  about chicken bused out as it was.


P4301596

A small, but very interesting archeological site. It is amazing how each site is different. Besides being small in area, this one had been very well reconstructed, and to top it off, there were hardly any other people there. That is a win all around, especially after yesterdays near death march in the heat and humidity around as well as up and down the monstrous Tikal site. They should find someone in the O.A.T. office that is in their mid to late sixties and have  them spend month visiting Tikal from 6 AM to 2 PM everyday for that month. That was the length of time we were there. Best make the person a female and make them a high ranking one at that. My guess is things would change quickly as far as the itinerary is concerned. Three full days in Antigua and a one day Tikal death march. come on O.A.T.,  you can do better than that.


P4301598

Reconstructed area.


DSC03907

Non reconstructed area.


DSC03912

Her Ladyship sitting on one of the royal beds.


P4301636

Fruit. Very sticky. Got on hands. Not good.


DSC03917

Really great dark beer. Linda says the same thing. Good Bob for ordering it. Clarification. Linda learned of it from Richard. Linda told Bob about. Hats off to Linda for suggesting Bob should have one as she was going to order it herself. Dodged one there. Lucky Bob.


P4301647

Linda’s ice cream cone, butter pecan. I had crobbo. Why come to Belize and order what you can get at home? I don’t know and sure as heck am not going to ask her. The craboo is a small yellow fruit that doesn’t taste like anything I’m familiar with.


DSC03935

It even comes with a washer and dryer, maybe. It just might give new meaning to the term. fixer upper.


DSC03936

One Belize dollar is worth fifty cents US currency, so a 750 ml bottle of gin is $15.38 American, which is more than Linda pays for 1.5 liters.


P4301658 (2)

What was happening outside our hotel room window. Tomorrow is the last full day of the tour, then we travel to Nicaragua for the post trip. More adventure awaits. And with that another day in Central America comes to a close.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Punta Arenas to Santiago - Nov. 29, 2019

Last day at Sea - Nov. 27, 2019

Nesting Albatross and Rockhopper Penguins - Nov 26, 2019