Around the World in 128 Days -Another Sea Day - Learning the New Camera - First Bird Photos

   Travel Day 39 - February 10, 2024 - 10,036 Steps


It is very important to use the proper subjects for those first few photos you take with a new camera, especially since I really didn't know what I was doing.


Next it was time to test out the zoom. When I saw these two ships in the viewfinder I just knew it had to be that first zoom photo. Chris and Jake, this one is for you.


One thing I noted with my first attempts at taking photos of birds in flight was that I didn't know anything about how to take photos of birds in flight, but that I was very good at taking photos of the empty sky or just the ocean. Soon I had improved a great deal and my photos reflected by newly acquired skills as the photos now started to include bird parts.


If you keep on clicking the shutter and decreasing the zoom sooner or later an entire badly out of focus bird will be captured by the camera. To bad there wasn't a photographer attached to it. Keen eyed observers may note that neither of the above two images displayed the aforementioned  lack of photographic skills as all those photos long ago went into the digital trash can.


Persistence, despite an increasingly lethargic shutter finger, finally started paying dividends as the objects in the photos started looking like birds.


In the afternoon I spent a considerable amount of time reading about the ways one should use the Nikon Coolpix P-950 to capture images of birds in flight. With my luck now that i have some book learning get me going in the right direction settings and zoom use wise there probably won't be any more birds to be seen.


Thanks to Bert I know this one is a Brown Booby.


And so is this one.


The Captain commented during his daily noontime talk that we were only using two engines as we cruised across the Pacific towards Guam.


I have to wonder if the ocean depth is correct or is it that I know next to nothing about the Pacific Ocean?


Fairly calm seas this morning.


Linda is big on those front row seats when it comes to Kimberley's interviews.


Kim's guest was young, poised, extremely well spoken, very knowledgeable, and totally passionate about turtles.


Why you shouldn't help baby sea turtles struggling to get to the water after hatching.


With the change in route, now going around the Cape of Good Hope and up the west coast of Africa  they are starting give presentations on the excursions available in the new destinations. 


The side to side rocking motion of the ship in the afternoon.


Handheld moon photo from the deck of the Zuiderdam. I probably didn't need to write that previous sentence since where else could I have taken the photo. Not sure it that is a star or planet in the 5 o'clock position, but I'd guess it is a planet.


Another moon shot. It would be a colossal understatement to say I like my new camera.


Very faint but here is Orion. Betelgeuse, a giant red star is very apparent as is Rigel whish is a giant blue star. The three stars that make up the belt a very faint. I'll just say it looks more spectacular to the naked eye when you're in the middle of the Pacific than it does from land and all the light pollution.


Which one?


Chinese New Year decorations.




Chinese desserts, at least I think that's what they are. The almond jelly ( I think it was called that) was my favorite, but the others were also very good..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Punta Arenas to Santiago - Nov. 29, 2019

Last day at Sea - Nov. 27, 2019

Wind and Waves at Sea - January 18, 2024 - World Voyage Day 16 - 8051 Steps