Off to a Native Fiji Village Today

 

PC080545

 

Linda, the Fiji Islands girl enjoying her shells. There is just better way to start the day than to rearrange your shells. I will not be the only one counting the days until we return again to the lands of the south pacific. So much to see, so many trips to take.

 

PC080548

 

Interesting how how paradise was here all along, yet we were always focused on somewhere else.

 

PC080550

 

It was definitely more than two steps in the water and then onto land with this mornings wet landing.  That is the native Fiji village we were going to visit in the distance.

 

PC080551

 

Sulus lifted, off we go.

 

PC080552

 

It’s a long way to dry land.

 

PC080556

 

You’ve come a long ways, baby.

 

PC080559

 

The schoolyard in the village. Each village has its own dialect and in school the kids learn both standard Fijian and English so they are fluent in three different languages.

 

PC080561

 

Definitely not the view we have from our bure on Navini, but this is the real Fiji. A place where life is simple and time is of little importance.

 

PC080562

 

The women of the village display various trinkets and wares in booths along the water front where visitors can shop.

 

PC080563

 

Gee Linda, that brand new necklace matches the earrings you bought in Australia. I knew she was going to buy something, simply because everything so inexpensive there was no way she wasn’t going to buy something. That necklace would have been about the equivalent of $50 US dollars in Australia. Here it was the equivalent of $6 US dollars and she bought it off the person who made it.

 

.PC080564

 

Beginning the long walk back out to the boat.

 

PC080565

 

Yes, that is a shark Linda is holding up. Now you know why when she asks me to do something, when finished I always ask her if I did it good enough and does she want me to do more.

 

PC080574

 

Back home. Can you see why we are already talking about coming back again next year?

 

PC080578

 

All the breads, rolls, cakes, pies and other baked goods are made in the kitchen, just as is everything else they serve. How lucky that no Sysco trucks deliver to Navini, otherwise we could be eating the standard US restaurant crap that passes for food. Or should I say, American restaurant food made to American, make it as cheap as possible, tastes. It’s been a while since I had even a tiny little rant, so I won’t even ask for for forgiveness. Chubby Bob.

 

PC080579

 

Definitely decadent. Noon and evening we are faced with something like this. Then a few moments later we are faced with an empty dish What can I say, we love the desserts here. P.S. that sure ain’t your standard American chocolate sauce on top of that homemade ice cream.

 

PC080580

 

When you finish with the meal, Joka is soon handing you the menu for the next meal where you get to agonize over what to have. I once said  “There’s no way I can decide, so I’ll have one of each. ” Joka just smiled and shook her head, no. Since we’ve been here, I’ve had, fish, chicken, beef and vegetarian dishes and everyone of them has been awesome. And Linda says the same thing. Just call us fat but happy Bob and Linda. Oops, it has been suggested that any reference to “fat” should only be a reflection of my appearance and not my slim, lovely, almost ex-wife. Fat and humble Bob.

 

PC080582

 

We moved into anther bure this afternoon, and Linda was quick to try out the hammock. As I was taking this photo I was informed that in no way should I be taking a video (remainder of what she said deleted). I believe I’m allowed to say she didn’t fall out of it. Singed Ear Bob.

 

PC080596

 

Life, lived gently.

PC080597

 

Italian Linda.

 

PC080599

 

Grinding pepper is hard to do.

 

PC080600

 

Listening Linda.

 

PC080602

 

Fat Bob’s wife eating delicately. Life is soooo goood. Note: all photos posted above have been passed by the family photo censorette.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Punta Arenas to Santiago - Nov. 29, 2019

Last day at Sea - Nov. 27, 2019

Wind and Waves at Sea - January 18, 2024 - World Voyage Day 16 - 8051 Steps