Visiting Wichita

Today we were off to visit the Museum of World Treasures in Wichita, the main reason being the above. What made it even more special was the fact this is a real Triceratops skull, not a cast, and the docent took down the little barrier and let Linda get very up close and personal with it. She may no longer look exactly like the little girl walking around picking up fossils on the farm, but I have to believe the smile is the same.

Linda wasn't the only one who found something to smile about. For years I had a Smiling Buddha on a high shelf that smiled down on me every morning when I first got up. Today for me it wasn't only kneeling down beside these marble carvings to pose for a picture, it was also seeing the deep luster, the softness and the smooth lines of their forms. It brings a certain contentment, and it reminded me of the special glaze I applied to my Buddha when I made it.

The museum has an Egyptian section. I found the hieroglyphics interesting. I looked around and Linda was not to be seen. A little search and there she was. She just had to take a photo of the mummy, and I know that Zachary will be getting a text message of that photo. Someday I'll find out what little girls are like when they grow up, but it doesn't look like it will be happening very soon.

My turn to be a little boy. I can remember buying the toy ones when I was much younger than I am today. They were so obviously fake, but it didn't matter. I guess what really matters are the memories.

When was the last time you had your picture taken with the founder of a museum while standing in front of the museum's most prized acquisition? Dr. Jon Kardatzke, a retired Wichita physician is the reason the Museum of World Treasures exists, while partially shown is Ivan, one of the most complete T-Rex skeletons ever discovered. We spent over 20 minutes talking with Jon about the museum and some of the things we had overlooked on the second floor. And yes, we did go back upstairs and hunt up what we had missed.

No museum is complete unless it has a smashed penny machine in its gift shop. And no visit to a museum gift shop is complete unless we leave with a smashed penny for Zachary. Then it was time to walk around the Old Town area of Wichita before driving back to Yoder where we are staying. Bright lights and the hustle and bustle of the big city one minute and an hour later the clop of horses feet as an Amish buggy passes in front of the coach. And to think, some people probably stayed in front of the TV watching sports today. Life truly is what we make it to be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Punta Arenas to Santiago - Nov. 29, 2019

Last day at Sea - Nov. 27, 2019

Nesting Albatross and Rockhopper Penguins - Nov 26, 2019